Monday, December 5, 2011

music and stereotypes (Ying-wen Yu)


Other than blues, Hip-Hop music, especially rap, could be another example in the discussion of music and race/racial representation. I’m not an expert on hip-hop music nor rap. But I do remember the first music album that I bought was Michael Jackson’s Bad. Since then, I have listened to western pop music. I listened MC Hammer, Boyz II Men, Color Me Badd, All 4 One and a lot of others. When my friends started listening to rap music, I was introduced to Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg and some bands I can’t recall. Then in year 2000 appeared Eminem, the white rapper. I did think of him a “black rapper wanna be” in the beginning because I thought that black rappers were the best in the game. But the billboard proofed me wrong that Eminem not only became so famous, he actually “owned” the board for a long time. My friends said “Yeah, Eminem raps like a black rapper. Not bad at all!” So after reading “Blues in Black and White,” I can’t help but wonder if certain (racial/cultural) stereotypes are still persistent in categorizing music. 
It is interesting to note that the music industry in Taiwan is deeply influenced by US and UK culture. We not only accept the music but also incorporate it to our own lyric writing and melody composing. Early rappers in Taiwan were also considered wanna-bes. As time goes by, music producers have modified the western rap music into Taiwanese style(s). What’s interesting is that even on the tiny little island, people in the north listen to different type of Taiwanese rap from those in the south. The stereotypes not only exist in the making of music but also in audience. Both groups (music producers and audience) claim that they represent the authentic Taiwanese rap music. 
Speaking of stereotypes and music, I’d like to share an interesting song as a happy ending  of the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment